Recipe by Coca
This is my husband's favourite recipe. We found it in a magazine ad for Planter's Peanut Oil about 20 years ago, and have shared it many times with many people over the years. It is delicious on its own, or served with a side of pasta, rice or crusty bread. Bon Appetite!!
Top Review by boogaloogie
A fantastic new staple in my cooking repertoire. :) I used stewed tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce, and didn't have any mushrooms...it didn't make a difference. It was utterly delicious over the brown rice I made with it. I also added a healthy amount of hot sauce to add a bit of spice - you could also add a bit of cayenne pepper instead if you like some spice in your food. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 2 -3 lbs chicken, cut up (thighs and drumsticks are the best)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (preferably peanut oil)
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1 -2 clove garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom (what kind is limited only by your imagination!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat chicken with flour (I use a plastic bag).
- Heat oil in large fry pan and cook chicken until it is brown on all sides.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, saute onion, green pepper and garlic until onion is tender.
- Add tomato sauce and water.
- Add spices and stir.
- Place cooked chicken into sauce.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes over medium heat.
- After 45 minutes, add mushrooms and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes.