Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Cooking Light. For an even more economical meal, use a whole chicken cut into pieces. Depending on the size of your Dutch oven, you may need to brown the chicken in batches.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 bone-in skinless chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, strips
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 cups hot cooked penne (about 3/4 pound uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Combine first 6 ingredients, and sprinkle 4 teaspoons oregano mixture evenly over chicken. Set remaining oregano mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from the pan. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, and onion to pan; sprinkle with remaining oregano mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar, bay leaves, tomatoes, and tomato paste; stir to combine. Arrange the chicken over tomato mixture, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Place 1 cup pasta in each of 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 chicken breast half. Ladle 1 cup sauce over chicken, and sprinkle each serving with 4 teaspoons of Parmesan cheese.
Very very tasty! I made as written and served over angel hair pasta. I didn't have whole tomatoes so I used diced tomatoes...just not quite the full can (28 oz.). Next time I might thicken the sauce a little but there will be a next time. Thank you for submitting this recipe. Made for Bargain Basement tag game 2010.