Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Healthy dish that can also be prepared with pork chops or veal.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour.
- Saute 5 min per side in 2 T oil (I make this in my wok).
- Set chicken aside and cook onion and garlic 5 min.
- Deglaze pan with wine.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, spices.
- Mix well.
- Add chicken and simmer covered 45 min.
- Serve over pasta.
- Sauce freezes well.
- You can also make this with pork chops or veal.
Made this for dinner tonight, very good!!! Had some fresh mushroom to use up and some fresh plumb tomatoes which I skinned and chopped. They worked great. Cut it back for 2 and served it over tomato flavoured brown rice. Thanks for sharing Chuckster, will do this one again!!
DH and I made this last night and it was really good. We enjoyed it and so did our 3 kids. We didn't have any plum tomatoes (canned or otherwise) so we used drained diced tomatoes. It worked out fine. I doubled the recipe and it doubled very well. Thanks!
I had to cook for a crowd and the guests had to serve themselves. I cut up the chicken into pieces and added it to the sauce. I added al dente penne to same skillet as sauce mixture and cooked for 5 more minutes. I then topped with shredded mozzarella cheese and covered until ready to serve. Guests helped themselves right out of the skillet. Easy and delicious!