Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family enjoys the flavor of this recipe. We don't like it too spicy so we are careful how much cayenne pepper is added.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -14 ounce diced tomato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a frying pan, fry chicken until no longer pink.
- Add onion, green pepper and garlic and brown lightly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice or pasta.
This was a very good chicken cacciatori, but the cayenne really didn't go with it. I also sauted a little bit of celery in with the garlic, onions, and peppers because I judiciously complete the trinity in light italian cooking. I'd like to try it again without the cayenne so there could be more cacciatori behind it rather than spicy.