1/3 Photos of Chicken Cacciatore
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a bunch of recipes I found on the internet meshed together - plus, I added a few of my own ideas! It as not as much work as it looks like - most of the 'cook time' is in the oven. Follow the recipe, and the chicken will 'fall off the bone'. Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chicken legs, bone in (can remove skin if desired)
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in (can remove skin if desired)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, crushed
- fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1Mix salt, pepper& flour together.
- 2Wash chicken (taking off excess skin& roll in flour mixture).
- 3Put a little onion& a bit of the garlic& a few whole basil leaves in 3/4 the oil, then brown chicken on all sides in the oil.
- 4Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels (May need to add more oil as you go along).
- 5Remove gristle from pan, leaving the oil; add the onion& half the garlic and stir until onion is just wilted, then add, zucchini& mushrooms- cook, stirring for a moment (not long, it will also be cooking in the oven).
- 6Place the browned chicken pieces into a large oven-proof casserole& pour the onion-veggie mixture over the chicken.
- 7In the same frying pan, add the rest (1/4 cup) of the oil& add the other half of the garlic, then add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian spices, and wine.
- 8Simmer a few minutes.
- 9Pour over the chicken, cover and bake in a 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or until the chicken is done; then, uncover the chicken, top with chopped basil& parmesan and bake an additional 15-20 minutes to allow cheese to melt& sauce to thicken.
- 10Serve with white rice with a little of the sauce on top.
- 11Note: To reduce fat& calories, you can remove the skin from the chicken& omit the olive oil from the sauce.
- 12I prefer to remove the skin while eating- the basil& chesse form a kind of crust so you can still have that without the skin.
- 13Cooking with the skin on keeps the chicken moist.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (618 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 806.5
- Calories from Fat 479
- Total Fat 53.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 205.9 mg
- Sodium 447.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 51.9 g