Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a bunch of recipes I found on the internet meshed together - plus, I added a few of my own ideas! It as not as much work as it looks like - most of the 'cook time' is in the oven. Follow the recipe, and the chicken will 'fall off the bone'. Delicious!
- 6 chicken legs, bone in (can remove skin if desired)
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in (can remove skin if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, crushed
- fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Mix salt, pepper& flour together.
- Wash chicken (taking off excess skin& roll in flour mixture).
- Put a little onion& a bit of the garlic& a few whole basil leaves in 3/4 the oil, then brown chicken on all sides in the oil.
- Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels (May need to add more oil as you go along).
- Remove gristle from pan, leaving the oil; add the onion& half the garlic and stir until onion is just wilted, then add, zucchini& mushrooms- cook, stirring for a moment (not long, it will also be cooking in the oven).
- Place the browned chicken pieces into a large oven-proof casserole& pour the onion-veggie mixture over the chicken.
- In the same frying pan, add the rest (1/4 cup) of the oil& add the other half of the garlic, then add the crushed tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian spices, and wine.
- Simmer a few minutes.
- Pour over the chicken, cover and bake in a 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or until the chicken is done; then, uncover the chicken, top with chopped basil& parmesan and bake an additional 15-20 minutes to allow cheese to melt& sauce to thicken.
- Serve with white rice with a little of the sauce on top.
- Note: To reduce fat& calories, you can remove the skin from the chicken& omit the olive oil from the sauce.
- I prefer to remove the skin while eating- the basil& chesse form a kind of crust so you can still have that without the skin.
- Cooking with the skin on keeps the chicken moist.
Very good, I will make this again! I used peppers in leiu of mushrooms and zucchini and used boneless chicken breasts. The chicken was incredibly moist. I would recommend making extra sauce if you plan on serving this with pasta.
This was delicious! I added a green pepper for texture. Served with a lemon risotto recipe from this site, great combination!
I loved this! The only changes I made was to use frozen mixed grilled vegetables in place of the veggies in the recipe. I also did not have bay leaves and I used white wine instead of red because I drank the last of the red (oops!). Last but not least I used skinless breasts to cut down on the fat. It wasn't dry at all. I used convection to bake it but I think with all the juice from vegetables and tomatoes, it really stays moist. SO good the next day or two later!