Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love chicken cacciatore and this is one of my favorites.
- 1 large chicken, cut in pieces
- 1 lb chicken thighs or 1 lb chicken breast, bone-in
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 large vidalia onion, cut into pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, but into pieces
- 1 large red pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 lb mushroom, cut in pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Heat large pot over medium heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Salt and pepper the chicken pieces and brown in batches without over-crowding the pan until browned on both sides.
- Remove chicken to a bowl and add remaining olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes to pot.
- Cook 30 seconds until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook until starting to soften then add the mushrooms and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, sauce, tomatoes and juices and stir.
- Add basil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook until chicken is cooked through.
Awesome! This recipe is a keeper. The first time I made this for my DH and kids. They loved it. Makes a huge amount. I made this the next time for a small birthday gathering/dinner because it was a "one pot" meal and enough to go around. Everyone absolutely loved this. My father had 3 bowls! I served biscuits or hot croissants on the side each time. Easy to make and delicious. Thanks for a great recipe.