Recipe by kymgerberich
I have given this dish to a friend when she came home from giving birth. Put it with fresh packaged pasta, a salad and the chicken with reheating directions and it will be appreciated.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce & mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and brown chicken in a heavy 11" skillet.
- Remove chicken; lightly brown onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Remove garlic.
- Place chicken back in skillet, spooning onion and green pepper over.
- Stir together in a medium bowl undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce w/mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and cayenne pepper. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30-40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Transfer chicken to warm platter. skim off any extra fat from sauce, spoon some sauce over chicken. Thicken remaining sauce slightly and stir into pre-cooked spaghetti, adding additional 8 oz can of tomato sauce w/mushrooms in necessary to make enough liquid.