Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have given this dish to a friend when she came home from giving birth. Put it with fresh packaged pasta, a salad and the chicken with reheating directions and it will be appreciated.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce & mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Melt butter and brown chicken in a heavy 11" skillet.
- Remove chicken; lightly brown onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Remove garlic.
- Place chicken back in skillet, spooning onion and green pepper over.
- Stir together in a medium bowl undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce w/mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and cayenne pepper. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30-40 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Transfer chicken to warm platter. skim off any extra fat from sauce, spoon some sauce over chicken. Thicken remaining sauce slightly and stir into pre-cooked spaghetti, adding additional 8 oz can of tomato sauce w/mushrooms in necessary to make enough liquid.
This was a super recipe. My husband really liked it. Thank you so much! Margie
i didn't eat this but made it for DH and it's 5* all the way for him. i made it exactly as stated except i substituted extra mushrooms for green peppers as he doesn't care much for green peppers. this recipe also took much less than the specified cooking time to come together, so that was an added bonus too.