Norahs Girl's Note:
This casserole smells wonderful whilst baking! I serve it with lots of creamy mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and cut into eighths
- 1 cabbage, cut into wedges (red or white)
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 6 -8 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 6 -8 fragrant bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon mild apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Wash chicken and pat dry, using paper towels.
- 2Blend spices, salt and ginger together.
- 3Peel back skin of drumsticks, pat flesh with spice mixture and replace skin.
- 4Line casserole dish with potatoes, then cover with drumsticks.
- 5Intersperse with rows of cabbage, apples, onions and carrots.
- 6Sprinkle extra spices and bay leaves over, tuck cinnamon chards in between vegetables and sprinkle with vinegar, orange juice and olive oil.
- 7Cover tightly and braise at 160°C for 1 hour.
- 8Remove lid or aluminum foil and continue braising until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Cabbage & Apple Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (655 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.1
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 98.5 mg
- Sodium 957.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 23.3 g
- Protein 29.9 g