Recipe by FLUFFSTER
Looking for just the right chicken burrito? Look no more, you're here! Really, this is a great recipe. I serve them when we have "Mexican" night with friends, and the kids love them.
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 whole boneless chicken breasts, cut in half and sliced into 1/2 inches strips
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3⁄4 lb fresh plum tomato (about 5)
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce (can use equal amounts iceberg lettuce)
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated or 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) jar taco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Wrap the tortillas well with aluminum foil and place them in the oven.
- Put a large frying pan on High heat and let it get very hot, about 1 minute.
- Add the oil and chicken slices and sauté until the chicken is opaque and just cooked through about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, bouillon cube and taco seasoning. Cook two minutes more, stirring often, until the sauce thickens. Be sure to break up the bouillon cube so it dissolves completely. Turn off the heat and cover the pan.
- Cut the tomatoes lengthwise into quarters. cut each quarter into 1/4 inch slices and chop the slices roughly. Coarsely chop the onion.
- Cut the lettuce into 1/4-inch slices. Stack these and then cut them in half. Put the chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, chopped onion, and grated cheese in separate bowl.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture down the center of the tortilla. Top the chicken with about 2 tablespoons of grated cheese, chopped tomato and onion, and shredded lettuce.
- Fold the bottom third of the tortilla over the filling. Fold the third top down so that it overlaps slightly. Turn the burrito so folded side faces down on the plate. Repeat process until you have made all eight.Top with taco sauce, if desired, just before serving.