Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderful chicken burrito casserole that is simple to make but does not lack flavor. Very flavorful dish that is so easy to prepare and assemble. This is always a hit and never any leftovers (literally)! Great for pot lucks and get togethers. Mexican food is always easy and beautiful once dressed with all the toppings, very colorful. This dish freezes and reheats wonderfully. For easy weeknight preparation either make over the weekend and freeze for whenever you'd like to eat it OR you can do like I do... cook a ton of chicken on the weekend and then use it in various recipes during the week. Variations... you may add other ingredients to the layers that you like such as refried beans, olives, jalapenos, etc. You don't have to use only breast meat when making this recipe. It's great to recycle left over chicken from a BBQ! Note... instead of making in a large casserole dish I make in a deep one so I have more layers.
- 3 chicken breasts, already cooked (baked or boiled)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can rotel (can use mild, regular or hot depending on your tastes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pasta sauce (found in the mexican food section)
- 10 flour tortillas (any size)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (can use any variety)
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- diced onion
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take the cooked chicken and tear up/shred and put in a pot.
- Add the can of rotel, package of taco seasoning (along with any water needed per the directions on the seasoning packet) to the chicken and heat through on the stove.
- Spray non-stick spray (such as Pam) on a casserole dish. Then, layer the following in the casserole dish -- tortillas (so it covers the entire bottom of the pan), then red sauce (just a thin layer so the torillas don't dry out while cooking), then chicken (doesn't have to be a thick layer because there will be multiple layers), then cheese.
- Repeat all layers until you are out of chicken but be sure to end with tortillas with red sauce on top.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
Great one dish recipe. I made some adjustments based on what I had in my kitchen. Used enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce. Made some beans and rice, and added a layer of that on top of each chicken/cheese layer. Used sundried tomato wraps. Very good.
Very yummy thanks