Recipe by ilovebakedgoods
The original recipe calls for the filling to be placed by spoonfuls into the crescent rolls, but I found it a pain in the butt to fold them, so I have made this recipe into a layered casserole! If you would like to try making bundles, just put a heaping tablespoon of the chicken and cheese into the center of each flattened triangle, and then fold the triangle as if you are folding a cloth diaper (fold in the two long points and then the short point over the filling), and pinch together the edges to seal.
Top Review by kimad
This is a simple, easy recipe that does taste like chicken pot pie. I'll make this again, but did think it was missing something that I couldn't put my finger on. Maybe cooking some vegetables up with the chicken before baking would add that extra punch. Also, I think this yields closer to 4 servings than 6 - perfect for me, but would need to double for a larger family. Overall - great recipe, the crescent rolls add a great texture and flavor.
- 1 (8 ounce) package crescent rolls
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 -2 cup of shredded cheese (I prefer Sharp Cheddar)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (low sodium/low fat is great!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Separate the crescent rolls into 8 triangles; flatten and stretch each one out.
- Line an 8x8-inch pan with 4 of the triangles (keeping 2 triangles as a rectangle will help them to fit perfectly- you will end up with 2 rectangles in the bottom of the pan).
- Sprinkle the chicken and most of the shredded cheese over the crescent"rectangles".
- Reserve some cheese for topping off the entire dish.
- Create 2 more rectangles from the remaining 4 crescent triangles and place them on top of the chicken and cheese.
- Mix together the chicken broth and the Cream of Chicken soup; pour over crescent rectangles.
- Sprinkle any left-over cheese on top.
- Bake at 350° for one hour, until the crescents are golden brown.
- Cut into about 6 servings, or whatever number fits your family!