Recipe by Heatherbelle2
This is my first post so I'm not brave enough to submit one of my own efforts. This is, basically, a Jill Dupleix recipe from a recent delicious. magazine. I love B'stilla and this is a great, quick, easy way to make it. I use extra ginger & saffron - almost double. Hope you enjoy it:)
- 500 g cooked chicken
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemon rind, chopped (or grated lemon rind)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, & extra to dust
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, & extra to dust
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock or 1 tablespoon water
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry (refrigerated is easier to use than frozen)
- 100 g unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Shred chicken meat & toss with both eggs, parsley, coriander, preserved or plain lemon, ginger, saffron, icing sugar & cinnamon.
- Season with sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine cornflour, lemon juice, stock or water & toss with chicken mixture.
- Lay 1 sheet of filo on a work surface & brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet on top & brush with the melted butter.
- Repeat with all remaining filo, saving a little butter.
- Arrange the filling in a sausage shape lengthways along one side of the pastry, leaving 4cm at either end.
- Fold the ends over the filling then gently roll into a log shape.
- Place, join side down, on a baking tray lined with baking paper & brush with reserved melted butter.
- Bake for 30 mins or until golden.
- Dust with extra icing sugar & cinnamon, cut diagonally into slices with a serrated knife & serve hot.
- This goes well with Roast Vegies with Harissa, or with tabbouleh, smokey eggplant dip, hummous, pita bread etc.