Recipe by DustyPyatt
A very yummy chicken dish that is super fast and simple to assemble. I think this one is from Cooking Light. This is another that works great as a freezer meal. Assemble, freeze...cook when ready! Note: Chicken builloon changed to 1 teaspoon.
Top Review by Ciocia DD
The no-mush way to do this with added flavor: I made an already great foundation into a fantastic dish using the ingredients listed (along with some diced onion sauteed in EVOO.) Here's how I did it. Great for OAMC this way! I par-cooked some chicken breasts on low in the crockpot and then diced the meat. While I let the meat cool I sauteed about a cup of diced onion in 1 tbsp EVOO with a little salt and pepper. I cook my onion for 30 min on medium low for maximum flavor. Then I put the meat, the onion, 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 c very good quality Italian dressing (Marie's), 2 tbsp very good quality balsamic vinegar, 4 tsp rubbed sage, and 1 tbsp minced garlic into a Freezer Zip-Top bag. If you're not going to freeze this cut back on the garlic. I then froze the bag and came back about a week later. I partially thawed the bag so that there was no liquid in the bag but the contents could be broken into chunks. I mixed this with 2 boxes Aldi brand stuffing mix and spread into a casserole dish. This went immediately into a hot 400 degree oven. After 5 min I turned the oven down to 350 and let the dish cook for 30 additional minutes. Of that time, during the last 10 minutes I had some shredded cheese melting on top. This came out fantastic. Some stuffing pieces were crisp and crunchy while others were moist and soft. NOTHING was mushy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup prepared stuffing, dry
- 2 cups diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon concentrate
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Too cook immediately.
- Cube chicken and place in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the basil, salt, pepper and mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken.
- In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients.
- Layer this mixture over the chicken and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
- To freeze.
- Cube chicken and place in a quart size freezer bag. Seal.
- Place basil, salt, pepper and cheese in a quart size bag;shake;seal.
- Place stuffing, pepper and Italian seasoning in a quart size bag. Seal.
- Place diced tomatoes, garlic, and bouillon in a quart size bag seal.
- Place all the baggies into a large freezer bag, print the recipe and place inside as well. Squeeze all the air out. Seal; put in your freezer.
- When you are ready to cook, thaw overnight in fridge then follow the cooking instructions. Layer just like stated, adding the tomato mixture last.
- Note: The stuffing will not be a crunchy topping, It absorbs the juices of the tomatoes and has more of a cooked stuffing texture.