Recipe by SarasotaCook
This is a great light broth soup with cremini mushrooms, scallions, chicken and topped with wild rice dumplings. This is an easy soup and is perfect when you have some of that leftover rotisserie chicken. It's light, but offers lots of flavor and very comforting. Serve with a side salad, these are my favorites; Twisted Iceberg Lettuce Salad With Warm Gorgonzola Dressing, The Best No Oil Warm Egg Dressing over Greens and this dressing on your favorite greens Sarasota's Creamy Maple Brandy Salad Dressing. NOTE: This recipe really works best with 100% pure wild rice, not a blend. The flavor is just so much different.
- 8 cups chicken stock (broth will work fine, but you can buy quality stocks these days right in your grocery store, homemad)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced chicken (you can add more or less if you want, use what you have on hand)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, thin sliced
- 3 scallions, fine chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 teaspoon very fine chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked wild rice (pure wild rice, not a blend)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk, no skim for this
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rice -- Cook the wild rice according to directions. Then let cool.
- Broth -- Heat up the broth in a large deep sauce pan. I use a pan rather than a pot so you can add more dumplings, a pot limits the amount of dumplings you can cook at one time. Add the mushrooms, chicken, scallions, garlic, and pepper. Just simmer on low heat while you make the dumplings. The mushrooms will become tender in about 5-7 minutes.
- Dumplings -- In a medium size bowl, add in the flour, baking powder, salt and mix well. Then add in the eggs, milk and parsley and mix. Fold in the rice and lightly mix to combine.
- Cook the Dumplings -- Bring the heat up to medium, not boiling, but just under boiling. Spoon the dumplings in (1 heaping tablespoon) into the simmering broth, one at a time. Try not to get them to close to one another. TIP: If the dumplings stick to the spoon, just dip the spoon in hot water, the dumpling should come right off. After all the dumplings are all added, cover and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove the lid and flip the dumplings over. Recover and cook another 2-3 minutes until they are floating and firm.
- Serve -- Just enjoy. A bowl of the broth, mushrooms, chicken and scallions topped with a couple of the dumplings. Nothing else needed. A side salad and what a nice warm comforting easy dinner. ENJOY!