Recipe by mommyoffour
I make broth all the time. I store it in my freezer so I have it whenever I need it. This is the recipe I use when I have extra chicken pieces that we wont eat for dinner.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs bony chicken pieces (wings, back, necks)
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, cut up
- 2 carrots, cut up
- 1 large onion, cut up
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot place chicken pieces, celery, carrots, onion, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Add water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken.
- Strain broth through cheesecloth placed in colander.
- Discard vegetables and seasonings.
- Refrigerate broth and any reserved meat in separate covered containers up to 3 days or freeze up to 6 months.