Another one from the great Julia Child's book 'Mastering The Art of French Cooking.' Can be served hot or cold, it is tasty either way. I recommend reading the directions a few times over before preparing, to avoid confusion when cooking. Julia recommends in the book that this be served with baked whole tomatoes and green beans, and, if you'd like, a chilled rose wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, halved or quartered
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons strong Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons finely minced shallots or 3 tablespoons green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or 1/2 teaspoon basil or 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs (from homemade or bakery bread)
- 1Preheat broiler to medium.
- 2Dry chicken thoroughly, melt the 6 tb butter and 2 tb oil together, and baste the chicken with it.
- 3Then place the chicken, skin side down, in the bottom of a broiling pan, rack removed.
- 4Place it so that the chicken is 5 to 6 inches away from the heat source.
- 5Broil 10 minutes per side, baste every 5 minutes.
- 6Chicken should be very lightly browned.
- 7Salt lightly.
- 8Blend mustard with shallots or onion, herbs, and seasonings in a small bowl.
- 9Drop by drop, beat in half of the basting fat from the pan to make a mayonnaise like cream.
- 10Paint the chicken pieces with the mixture.
- 11Pour the breadcrumbs onto a big plate, then roll the chicken in them, patting them to make them stick.
- 12Arrange the chicken pieces skin side down on the rack in the broiling pan and dribble half of the remaining basting fat over them.
- 13Brown in the broiler, at the same temperature, about 10 minutes.
- 14Turn the chicken, baste with remaining fat, and cook another 10 minutes until juices run clear.
- 15Transfer to a hot platter and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Broiled With Mustard, Herbs, and Breadcrumbs
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 841.1
- Calories from Fat 544
- Total Fat 60.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 216.0 mg
- Sodium 840.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 46.9 g