Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cook's Country
- 4 slices hearty white bread, torn into pieces
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated asiago cheese
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, with 2 tablespoons melted
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Pulse bread, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/2 cup Asiago, and melted butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and ziti to boiling water and cook until nearly al dente. Drain in colander and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Melt remaining butter in empty pot over medium heat. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in wine and cook until liquid is almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and broth and bring to boil. Add chicken and simmer until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining cheese until melted.
- Microwave broccoli, covered, in large bowl until bright green and nearly tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir cooked broccoli and drained ziti into pot and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture and bake until sauce is bubbling around edges and topping is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Serve. (Casserole can be assembled, minus bread crumbs, 24 hours in advance. Bring to room temperature before adding bread crumbs and baking.