Recipe by Bec
From the 1990 Celebrate Minnesota Cookbook, submitted by the City of Bricelyn.
Top Review by yogiclarebear
Delicious. I also used cooked chicken. I skipped the oil to lower the fat, and gently steamed the broccoli a bit before I stir fried. Also added a few cloves of garlic, minced. In place of the water chestnuts, I used a can of stir fry vegetables that included water chestnuts, baby corn, bean sprouts, and bamboo shoots. Also added a bit of red bell pepper for color.
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup onions or 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli, matchsticks (stalks and florets sliced lengthwise like wooden matches)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, soy sauce, ginger and pepper; set aside.
- Mix cornstarch and water; set aside.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet.
- Add onion and stir fry 2 minute; push away from heat.
- Add chicken and stir fry 2 to 3 minutes; push away from heat.
- Add broccoli matchsticks, mushrooms; stir fry 2 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, combining with all cooked ingredients, and stir fry 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth mixture; heat until bubbly.
- Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture; heat and stir until thickened and smooth.
- Gently stir until all foods are well coated with sauce.
- Serve over rice.