Recipe by papergoddess
My old Betty Crocker cookbook (1975) had a recipe for a chicken casserole that I just loved. It was called "Chicken Casserole Deluxe", and used a box of Betty Crocker's Noodles Romanoff. Since that product was discontinued, I've really missed this casserole, so I've tried to duplicate it. I think this is pretty darn close. I've also made it low fat. You can use full-fat if you like.
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli or 1 large head fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pitted black olives
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream (low-fat or full- fat are great, too)
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese (low-fat or full-fat are fine)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (you can use fat-free if you like it, but I don't)
- 1 cup skim milk (You could substitute chicken broth... it's just to thin it down a little)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried garlic or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 -2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 2 -3 dashes hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 6 -8 ounces egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain; set aside.
- If you are using fresh broccoli, you can add it to your noodles for the last five minutes of cooking.
- Combine noodles, broccoli, olives, and all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour into a 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake uncovered @ 350F for 30-45 minutes until bubbly in the middle.