Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A co-worker gave me this recipe 30 years ago after an office party. It is still my favorite casserole of all time. It seems like a lot of prep time, but it is really a very simple recipe. Thanks to Cubfan23 for asking about the shredded cheddar cheese ingredient that I forgot to delete. It would have been confusing. The only cheese used is the Cheez Whiz.
- 2 (9 ounce) packageschopped frozen broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) jarof cheese whiz cheese spread
- 1 (12 ounce) jarof cheese whiz cheese spread
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 2 large onions
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk, skim
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour 1 2/3 cups of water and rice into rice cooker and cook until done. If you don't have a rice cooker, use a 4 serving size of instant rice like Minute or Uncle Ben's 14 oz pkg, following directions on pkg.
- Cook chicken in boiling water until done, for 30 minutes or until no longer pink in center.
- Sautee onions, celery and mushrooms in 2 Tbsp oil.
- Partially cook broccoli in 1/4 cup water, covered, for 5 minutes until half done. Add to sauteed ingredients.
- Dice chicken and add to sauteed ingredients and broccoli.
- Add soups, evaporated milk and rice to mixture.
- Add small jar of Chees Whiz to mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spray 13"x19" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Put in 375 degree oven for 35 minute After 25 min., take out and top with large jar of Chees Whiz and finish cooking.
Since broccoli cheese casserole is one of my all-time favorites, this sounds incredible! But one question...where do the 2 cups of shredded cheese come into play? It's listed in the ingredients, but doesn't specify if it gets mixed in the casserole or sprinkled on top.