Recipe by vivvie
A co-worker gave me this recipe 30 years ago after an office party. It is still my favorite casserole of all time. It seems like a lot of prep time, but it is really a very simple recipe. Thanks to Cubfan23 for asking about the shredded cheddar cheese ingredient that I forgot to delete. It would have been confusing. The only cheese used is the Cheez Whiz.
Top Review by Cubfan23
Since broccoli cheese casserole is one of my all-time favorites, this sounds incredible! But one question...where do the 2 cups of shredded cheese come into play? It's listed in the ingredients, but doesn't specify if it gets mixed in the casserole or sprinkled on top.
- 2 (9 ounce) packageschopped frozen broccoli
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) jarof cheese whiz cheese spread
- 1 (12 ounce) jarof cheese whiz cheese spread
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 2 large onions
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk, skim
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour 1 2/3 cups of water and rice into rice cooker and cook until done. If you don't have a rice cooker, use a 4 serving size of instant rice like Minute or Uncle Ben's 14 oz pkg, following directions on pkg.
- Cook chicken in boiling water until done, for 30 minutes or until no longer pink in center.
- Sautee onions, celery and mushrooms in 2 Tbsp oil.
- Partially cook broccoli in 1/4 cup water, covered, for 5 minutes until half done. Add to sauteed ingredients.
- Dice chicken and add to sauteed ingredients and broccoli.
- Add soups, evaporated milk and rice to mixture.
- Add small jar of Chees Whiz to mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spray 13"x19" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish.
- Put in 375 degree oven for 35 minute After 25 min., take out and top with large jar of Chees Whiz and finish cooking.