Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
3/18/13. I've updated this recipe to include alternate choices for the canned chicken the original recipe called for. Lately, I've been using store bought rotisserie chicken. I've seen a lot of recipes for broccoli, cheese and rice casseroles. However, this takes it from a side dish to a main meal casserole. It fills up the sink with dirty dishes, but that is the only draw back. You can make umpteen variations to customize the taste to your liking. I will offer substitution possibilities in the instructions.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken (bake it yourself, rotisserie or canned)
- 3 cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Drain 2 cans of chicken breast meat (You can substitute home boiled chicken or rotisserie- just chop it small).
- Boil broccoli till tender; drain.
- Boil rice. (You can substitute a packet of broccoli cheese rice mix such as Lipton's. Depending on amount of rice you want, might want to make two packets).
- Melt margarine in large frying pan. Saute onions till glassy. Add both soups and stir well. Add cheese and mix till melted. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 glass dish.
- Spread rice evenly over bottom of dish.
- Spread broccoli over rice layer.
- Pour 1/3 of cheese sauce over the broccoli and rice and spread evenly.
- Spread chicken on top of cheese sauce and top with remaining sauce.
- If desired, sprinkle more shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
This turned out really great. I did half a recipe in an 8x8 pan and only used the cream of chicken soup. I also added a slice of american cheese in with the cheddar, and used cubed cooked chicken breast as well as fresh broccoli (only partially cook the broccoli to avoid it getting soggy). My husband liked it and he doesn't usually like "creamy" things. Great comfort food!
My family LOVED this dish! I made the recipe as written. In more detail, I used one Costco rotisserie chicken, one 24 ounce can of cream of chicken soup and added about 1/2 a can of milk to the soup/onion/cheese mixture. You do not need to add any salt if using a regular (not low sodium) soup. Like others have said, make sure to use fresh broccoli, cook in boiling water for about 2 min then blanch by straining then immediately pouring into ice water. The pop of bright green really makes the dish! Finish by sprinkling sharp cheddar cheese on top, cover with foil for 20 min, then for the last 15 min turn the heat up to 415 degrees (that will brown the cheese) and cook. I will make again!
Yummy. A few changes (mainly quantity) were made. I used 1/2 cup of extra chicken and 2 ounces extra of medium cheddar cheese (shredded entire block). I also had two 8 oz cans of "cream of chicken and mushroom soup" so I used them instead. A frozen 12 oz bag of Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers Chopped Broccoli was perfect for this recipe. The pieces were small enough that they provided adequate coverage. The entire family enjoyed this (even my hubby who usually dislikes broccoli).