3/18/13. I've updated this recipe to include alternate choices for the canned chicken the original recipe called for. Lately, I've been using store bought rotisserie chicken. I've seen a lot of recipes for broccoli, cheese and rice casseroles. However, this takes it from a side dish to a main meal casserole. It fills up the sink with dirty dishes, but that is the only draw back. You can make umpteen variations to customize the taste to your liking. I will offer substitution possibilities in the instructions.
- Drain 2 cans of chicken breast meat (You can substitute home boiled chicken or rotisserie- just chop it small).
- Boil broccoli till tender; drain.
- Boil rice. (You can substitute a packet of broccoli cheese rice mix such as Lipton's. Depending on amount of rice you want, might want to make two packets).
- Melt margarine in large frying pan. Saute onions till glassy. Add both soups and stir well. Add cheese and mix till melted. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 glass dish.
- Spread rice evenly over bottom of dish.
- Spread broccoli over rice layer.
- Pour 1/3 of cheese sauce over the broccoli and rice and spread evenly.
- Spread chicken on top of cheese sauce and top with remaining sauce.
- If desired, sprinkle more shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.