My DH's absolute all time favorite meal! He could eat this every night if I let him. I always make this when we have guests, and they ask for the recipe every time! It will be nice to have it on here now so I can just print it out!!! If you freeze this please double the sauce, for some reason it gets a bit dry in the freezer.
- 4 medium chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 medium stalk broccoli, lightly steamed
- 2 cups grated cheese, cheddar or 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, I have used miracle whip once with good results also
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine soup, mayo and broth in a large sauce pan, heat until warm.
- Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Add chicken, rice and broccoli, stir until well blended (if it seems like it needs more liquid add chicken broth or mayo a little at a time). Sometimes I just layer the ingredients: rice, chicken, brocolli, sauce, french fried onions, sprinkle with cheese. Same results.
- Top with a thin layer of french fried onions and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Bake @ 350 until bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
6 thumbs up x 5 stars from all my family members, even my very picky 16-yr old son. I subbed cream of broccoli soup for the cream of mushroom because it does not contain MSG (it triggers migraines in my DH...fyi...Campbell's Cream of Celery also is MSG-free). I also added sauteed fresh mushrooms, just because I love them (I sauteed them in butter first then added them in with the broccoli). For some reason, my french fried onions that were on top burnt very quickly in the oven, so I will just add them at the end of the baking cycle next time. It came out a touch dry even though I added more liquid, but that could have been a function of the rice. All in all, this is definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing it!
Good stuff! We added sauteed mushrooms, garlic and onion, used frozen broccoli. The boys want to try it with swiss cheese and then Monterey Jack cheese, so we'll be making this quite a bit in the near future. Thanks for sharing an easy, versatile & delicious recipe!
So yummy! I substituted the mayo with sour cream (about 1/2 cup)and used cream of mushroom instead of chicken because it's all I had on hand. I also did not use the fried onions, but instead used a sleeve of 365 brand crackers as topping. I also used a small broiler chicken, which made the meat super tender and delicious! Such a great recipe, will definitely make again!