Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy casserole that does not use canned soup. It can divided into smaller casserole dishes and frozen, too. Feel free to add more chicken...I do.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 lb chopped broccoli, steamed
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pan.
- Add flour, stirring constantly.
- When mixture reaches the boiling point, add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Heat until almost boiling, stirring constantly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- Place cooked chicken in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Place broccoli over chicken.
- Pour the white sauce over all.
- Sprinkle top with grated cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Very good recipe. The sauce tasted a lot like cream of chicken soup, which was good, because I hate using the canned stuff with the MSG! I used some organic chicken broth to add more chicken flavour aswell. I served over hot white rice, and it was a hit. Lyn