Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious casserole recipe from my mother. Note: Do not use regular, ground breadcrumbs (like those you find in most grocery stores). Using 4 cups of those will make this dish way too "breaddy". I would suggest using a food processor to make your own. Also, if using a 9x13 pan, you will want to increase the amount of the ingredients. I would say by about 1/3. Possibly 1/2.
- 4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix breadcrumbs, cheese and melted margarine.
- Line a 7x11 pan with half the above mixture.
- Add broccoli.
- Mix the salt, pepper, 1/4 cup margarine, flour and milk.
- Add cooked chicken into the sauce.
- Pour onto the broccoli.
- Top with the other half of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes and enjoy!
This was nice, a great weeknight meal that is quick but still from scratch. To be honest, I was a bit worried about the breadcrumb mixture being on the bottom, but it turned into this glorious gooey cheesy goodness and the kids couldn't get enough of it. I did increase the amounts by about a third as recommended to fit in a 9x13 dish and it came out looking good. It was a bit salty and buttery for my personal taste, but that's me. Made for Fall 2011 PAC.
We really loved this family style dish. The crumb layer is something very different and quite tasty. It's not really time consuming (most of the time is in the oven) and it give's you yummy comfort food that is perfect on a chill evening. Made for Pic A Chef, Spring 2013