Recipe by Cassie Hunsicker
I really love this recipe because my mom used to make it for me as a kid. It originated from my great-grandfather on my dad's side. This recipe has been passed on from generation to generation, and I'm proud to be the next one!
- 1 young roasting chickens (about 5 lbs.)
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and remove organs from young chicken. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cook for 1.5 hours. Scoop off chicken fat as it cooks. Add water as needed.
- After chicken cools, cut about 2 inches off of the bottom of the broccoli stalks. Bring broccoli to a boil in leftover chicken broth, and cook until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Pick all white meat (breast, and wings) off of chicken once cooled. Chop chicken and broccoli into small cubes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8 inches x 11 inches pan with butter. Put chopped chicken at the bottom, then layer with the chopped broccoli. Put another layer of chicken and then another layer of chopped broccoli.
- Prepare the curry sauce. Mix 2 cups of mayonnaise, 1 cup of milk and about 2 tablespoons of curry powder together in a small bowl. Make sure it has the consistency of thin yogurt.
- Pour curry sauce over the casserole. Sprinkle croutons around the edge of the casserole. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle casserole with shredded cheese when finished baking. Cover with aluminum foil until cheese has completely melted. Serve and enjoy!