Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Prepare this casserole in advance , wrap tightly, and freeze for up to 3 months. Just defrost in the fridge overnight and bake the next day at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or so.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml chicken broth
- 177.44 ml milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 170.09 g wide egg noodles
- 1182.95 ml cooked chicken, shredded (about 1 1/2#)
- 283.49 g package frozen broccoli or 283.49 g packageitalian style frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 473.18 ml muenster cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a medium sized casserole dish, set aside.
- Saute onion in butter for about 3 minutes.
- Mix in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth, combining well.
- Gradually add milk to the saucepan, and cook stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add egg noodles, and cook for 6 minutes.
- Drain noodles well.
- Spread noodles in the prepared baking dish.
- Place chicken and broccoli over noodles.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted.
This was THE BEST chicken/broccoli/noodle casserole I've ever made or eaten!Muenster cheese is one my favorites, so just had to try it, and so glad I did!! I made just a few very minor changes due to what I had on hand. Went to fill my 3/4 measuring cup with milk, and ran out about halfway! So filled it the rest of the way with heavy cream. Used a shallot instead of an onion, and chicken boullion instead of broth. (Still added more salt, though.) Used 2 whole chicken breasts, diced and cooked, added 1 small can of mushrooms (drained), and added parsley to the top for extra color. It was HEAVEN!!! (Baked at 350 for 23 minutes.) What a keeper!! Thanks so much!! :) Made for the ZWT4
Wow, so simple and yet so tasty! I changed it a little due to what I had on hand - I used onion powder instead of the onions, fresh chopped broccoli instead of frozen, and a combo of jack and cheddar cheeses instead of muenster (never tried that cheese, but I am curious now). I also just pan fried some chopped up chicken, which worked fine as well. I accidentally mixed the noodles, chicken and broccoli instead of layering, but I think it didn't make too much difference. I love that this recipe doesn't use a can of soup! Will definitely use this recipe again, thanks for posting!
Excellent. The flavors went so well together. First time using muenster cheese and we really enjoyed it. I did add a little extra chicken broth and some garlic and used whole wheat noodles, but other than that stuck to the recipe. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT #6 :)