Recipe by *Parsley*
Easy way to use up that leftover chicken or turkey. No canned soup. Serve over hot cooked noodles, mashed potatoes or rice; if desired.
Top Review by sugarpea
I made two substitutions; fresh asparagus for the mushrooms and fresh, rather than frozen broccoli. I suspect this recipe depends on the moisture from the mushrooms and frozen broccoli to thin the sauce to a creamy texture. While the sauce was delicious it was far too thick doing things my way and there wasn't enough of it. Next time I'll double the sauce and thin it more. YOU could just follow the recipe as written and not worry about it.
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken (could use turkey or ham)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts
- 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease/spray a casserole dish.
- Place cubed chicken in the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer sliced mushrooms over chicken. Layer sliced water chestnuts over mushrooms. Layer chopped broccoli over water chestnuts. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan over med-low heat, melt butter; add chopped onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and stir until smooth.
- Add broth, milk, sherry and spices. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Pour hot sauce mixture evenly over casserole. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and top is lightly browning.