Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is yummy! You can divide this recipe into smaller pans and freeze before baking. I like to take this to potlucks or when someone has a baby, or is ill. Just add a green salad and bread,and dinner is done!
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 head broccoli or 10 ounces frozen broccoli
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of broccoli soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 grated onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups buttered bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Boil chicken in large pot of water until done.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile,cook broccoli in chicken water 5 minutes or until crisp/tender.
- Remove with slotted spoon and spread in 9x13 pan.
- Cook rice in broccoli/chicken water 20 minutes or until done.
- Drain rice and place in large mixing bowl.
- Add soups,mayonnaise, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Shred chicken into rice mixture and mix well.
- Layer over broccoli in pan.
- Top with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through,about 30-40 minutes .
This sure does make a lot. Great for a potluck. Easy to do with a great taste too!!! I usually don't like canned soup in a dish but it really worked great in this one. A salad completes this mea
Let me just say that this recipe is a miracle! My 13 year old daughter actually ate broccoli! My whole family loved it, and it made plenty for leftovers. I'm thinking of adding peas to the rice mix, for a little extra something.
This was a good meal, I did put half in the freezer because it made so much.