Recipe by bert
This recipe came in a Milk calendar a few years back. It looks time consuming but really it is quite easy to put together.
Top Review by janicerobazza
Great recipe. I have made it many times as cannelloni. Then I tried it with lasagna noodles to cut down on the labor. Tonight I'm going to make it with farfalle pasta to make it even easier.
Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and pureed
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups leftover cooked chicken, diced (or cooked turkey or ham)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- 12 cannelloni tubes or 12 manicotti, cooked according to package directions
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in med saucepan.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook 2 or 3 minutes, stirring but not browning.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer gently 5 minutes.
- Whisk in pureed tomatoes, salt& pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Cook onions until tender.
- Add mushrooms.
- Cook until any moisture evaporates.
- Add chicken and broccoli.
- Add half the cheese, salt& pepper.
- Stir in 1 cup tomato cream sauce from step 1.
- Fill cooked cannelloni with chicken mixture.
- Arrange in bottom of a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 oven for 30-40 minutes until bubbling.