Recipe by Vino Girl
From Everyday Food November 2003
Top Review by Abba Gimel
This was very good! My friend gave me a bag of lemons from her tree... so I am going lemon crazy. that is what led me to this recipe. I added sliced red pepper and onion. I also substituted olive for canola oil. Thank you for sharing, we will make it again.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick, florets separated
- 1 small lemon, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together soy sauce, 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, honey, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Pour half of the mixture into another bowl; reserve.
- Place chicken in remaining mixture;
- marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over high heat.
- Add half the chicken; cook, tossing often, until brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Repeat with another 1/2 tablespoon oil and remaining chicken.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook broccoli and lemon, tossing often, until broccoli is bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water; cook until broccoli is tender and lemon is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade, cornstarch mixture, chicken, and any accumulated juices from plate.
- Bring to a boil; cook, stirring until thickened, 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.