Mustang Sally 54269's Note:
From Rose Reisman's Light Cooking. These type of recipes are a great way to make light dishes without having to use the high processed non-fat ingredients. The recipe asks for margarine so rather than using non-hydrogenated margarine I chose to use good ol' regular butter. The filling can be made ahead of time; when you are ready to serve, assemble & bake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 Tbsp fresh)
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, warmed (or marinara sauce)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Spray baking sheet with nonstick vegetable sparay.
- 2Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic; pound until thin & flattened. Set aside.
- 3In a medium skillet, melt 1st amount of butter; saute garlic, onion & mushrooms about 3 mins until softened.
- 4Add tomatoes & basil; cook for 1 minute.
- 5Spoon evenly over flattened breasts & roll up carefully; fasten with toothpicks.
- 6Layer phyllo sheets; cut into 4 (to make 16 squares when using 4 sheets). Place 2 squares on a flat surface; brush with some melted butter & place 2 more squares over top. Place rolled breast over top & enclose with phyllo. Brush outside with more butter; place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- 7Bake for 15 - 20 mins or just until phyllo is golden & chicken is no longer pink.
- 8Serve with warmed tomato sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts Wrapping in Phyllo With Basil & Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.1
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 367.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 29.6 g