Recipe by evelyn/athens
This tastes so Mediterranean - all the flavours that you have come to expect of this area. The chicken needs to marinate for 8 hours.
Top Review by Mirj
Evelyn, we seems to have started our own little Mediterranen mutual admiration society, and this recipe is no exception. They have just started marketing prosciutto in Israel, and it's a great flavor addition to chicken. The only change I made to the recipe was to leave out the cream, for religious reasons. I used chicken broth instead and reduced it until it was a yummy gravy. I served this with some plain couscous, and it was a wonderful Friday night meal that all our guests enjoyed!
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 small tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped (plum works best – not as watery)
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ¼ cup parsley, garlic and oregano in a small bowl.
- Heat 2 tblsps oil in small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and saute until golden-brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in ½ of parsley mixture and continue to cook until garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to small bowl and stir in prosciutto and pine nuts; cool completely.
- Insert small sharp knife into side of each chicken breast at thick end.
- Carefully cut side to create a 2 inch deep, 2 inch wide pocket (do not cut completely through).
- Stuff with parsley-pine nut mixture; skewer to close pocket opening.
- Place chicken in baking dish.
- Drizzle with 2 tblsps oil and pour wine over.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with remaining parsley mixture.
- Cover and marinate atleast 8 hours, in refrigerator.
- Heat remaining 2 tblsps oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Add chicken (reserve marinade) and cook until brown on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add ½ of reserved marinade.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook chicken until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter; slice into ½ inch thick slices and overlap.
- Add tomatoes, cream and remaining marinade to skillet.
- Boil until slightly thickened, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon over chicken.
- Sprinkle with parsley.