Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe adapted from "The Simpler The Better: Sensational Home Cooking in 3 Easy Steps." I received a copy of the recipe from my mom and have since modified it by adding capers and wine. Use jarred roasted peppers, the ones in oil or in salt water both work well. I use the "tube" style of tomato paste.
- 12 pitted kalamata olives
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or less)
- 1 cup roasted red pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 4 chicken breasts
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill - time will vary according to your grill. The recipe will work with ANY cooked chicken. Prepare the sauce while the chicken cooks.
- Roughly chop the olives. Coarsely chop the peppers. Mince the garlic (or use a garlic press).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the olives, peppers, tomato puree, red wine, and capers. Cook until the sauce begins to bubble and thicken, about 5 minutes. You will need to stir the sauce to keep it from sticking. Taste the sauce and add salt and or pepper if needed. It will depend on how salty the olives and peppers were.
- When the sauce is done, pour over cooked chicken.
- We slice the chicken into long strips and fan the strips over rice. Then we pour the sauce over the chicken. It plates up well. I tend to serve it with the rest of the red wine that didn't get enjoyed during cooking. A green veggie or salad completes the meal.
I made this for dinner this evening. Very easy and very good. I served it over polenta, which worked quite well. This is a keeper.