1/2 Photos of Chicken Breasts With Orzo, Carrots, Dill, and Avgolemono Sauce
Avgolemono sauce, a Greek contribution to the world's cuisine, is a delicate blend of chicken broth, dill, and lemon, thickened lightly with egg. In the spring, asparagus would substitute beautifully for the carrots. Lemon and dill will work best with a full-flavored white wine with decent acidity. Try one from the southern part of Burgundy such as a Mâcon or Pouilly-Fuissé (both made from chardonnay grapes).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 pounds in all)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/4 cups homemade stock
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 4 carrots, quartered and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1In a large stainless-steel frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over moderate heat. Season the chicken breasts with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and add to the pan. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Turn the chicken; add the broth, dill, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is just done, about 4 minutes. Remove the chicken and cover lightly with aluminum foil to keep warm. Set aside the pan with the broth.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orzo for 6 minutes. Add the carrots and continue cooking until the orzo and carrots are just done, about 6 minutes longer. Drain and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- 3In a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl, beat the eggs, lemon juice, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper until frothy. Bring the chicken broth back to a simmer and add to the eggs in a thin stream, whisking. Pour the mixture back into the pan and whisk over the lowest possible heat until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3 minutes. Do not let the sauce come to a simmer, or it may curdle. Put the orzo and carrots on plates and top with the chicken and sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts With Orzo, Carrots, Dill, and Avgolemono Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.5
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 174.1 mg
- Sodium 180.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 40.7 g