Chef #916531's Note:
This chicken dish is tasty, fairly quick and easy enough for a 'new' cook to impress dinner guests. A look into the fridge and store cupboard was the source of invention for this - plus limited time and the desire for a fairly healthy meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breasts (1 per person or 2 per person if small)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese with garlic and herbs (low fat if desired)
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 small onions, finely chopped or 1/2 large onion
- 4 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 teaspoon fresh mustard
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 glass white wine (if preferred) or 1 glass water (if preferred)
- seasoning (fresh ground pepper if possible)
- 1Slit the chicken breasts partly through the side, to create an 'envelope'. Try to slice at the thickest point and not all the way through. Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese inside the chicken breast and press the two sides together to reform the shape of the breast. Sprinkle with ground pepper to taste. Put to one side.
- 2Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the onions and mushrooms until the onions are soft. Turn up the heat to a medium/high level and add the chicken. Cook on one side for about 5 minutes (depending on size) or until cooked on that side. Turn each breast over and cook for a further 5 minutes (again depending on size) or until cooked. Try not to over cook - but always ensure the chicken is completely cooked. Don't worry if the cream cheese starts to leak out of the breasts - it all adds to the flavours later.
- 3Turn the temperature back down a little, and add the wine (or water) to the pan (around the chicken). Followed by the mustard, thyme and stock cube. Bring to the boil. Let this gently simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with whatever is preferred - but it is good to have something to absorb the sauce. Leftovers freeze very well.
- 4I've usually add some garlic when cooking the onions and mushrooms, but that is just personal preference.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts With Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.8
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.5 mg
- Sodium 756.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cream cheese with garlic and herbs