Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious wine-based sauce over whole chicken breasts. Great couple's dinner.
- 2 whole chicken breasts, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 lb sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄8 teaspoon tarragon leaf, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Dry chicken with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet. Sauté chicken, skin side down, over medium-high heat until golden brown (about 8 minutes). Shake pan occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Turn chicken; lower heat. Cook until just tender (about 5 minutes).
- Cover skillet; cook 2 minutes longer to steam chicken. Meat should be firm to the touch with no pink remaining. Place on a warm platter to keep warm.
- Pour off fat into a cup reserving 2 Tbs to return to the pan. Sauté onions in this for about 30 seconds. Add in mushrooms, tarragon and thyme. Cook and stir until mushrooms are tender and lightly golden (2 min).
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Stir and scrape browned bits from the bottom of skillet. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add broth and chicken juices. Cook 4 minutes longer until sauce is reduced by half.
- Remove skillet from heat. Swirl in cold butter and parsley. Taste to see if more seasoning is needed.
- Pour sauce over chicken.