Recipe by gailanng
Take note of the small size of the breast and keep in mind, the sauce is just enough to coat 2 small breasts. Double the sauce should you desire more. Considering all, it's pretty healthy. No small wonder it comes from Eating Well.
Top Review by mneral
Pretty fantastic! I used Baby Bell Mushrooms because I already had some rather than going out to purchase Shiitake. Nowhere in the instructions did it tell you what to do with the roasted garlic so I put it in the pan with the pinch of red pepper flakes and oil (I used olive oil ) and sautee'd till slightly carmelized,then continued on with the rest of the instructions. Everyone liked it!...you know how I can tell? No Leftovers!
- 2 (5 ounce) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced (can substitute portobello, porcini or oyster mushrooms)
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth or 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or 2 tablespoons scallion tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with pepper and salt on both sides.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice and adjusting the heat to prevent burning, until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. (I like to let them carmelize.) Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Pour in vermouth (or wine); simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and chives (or scallions); return to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, turn to coat with sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.