Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This chicken is a delicious spring-like dish. Use the earliest herbs in your garden or buy your favourite kinds. From Food and Drink Magazine. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a food processor or by hand, combine garlic, spinach, parsley, chives, tarragon, bread crumbs, orange zest, orange juice, mustard, salt, pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. Reserve 1 tbsp oil to fry chicken.
- Insert a sharp knife into the thick end of each chicken breast and cut a lengthwise pocket 3/4 of the way across chicken breast.
- Lay breast flat open and spread with about 2 tbsps spinach mixture.
- Fold breast back together.
- Season breasts with salt and pepper. Reserve any leftover spinach mixture.
- Set ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat and add remaining oil.
- Add chicken, skin-side down and fry until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes.
- Flip breasts over and place skillet in oven.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from skillet.
- Skim any fat and add orange juice, orange zest and vermouth.
- Bring to boil scraping up any sticky bits on the base of pan.
- Reduce until syrupy, about 1 minute.
- Add cream and bring to boil.
- Stir in reserved spinach mixture.
- Reduce until slightly thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Serve chicken and drizzle with sauce.
Absolutely loved the stuffing! The mix of herbs and spinach really made this something special, and the fact that it's healthy didn't hurt either. I totally forgot to put the oil into the stuffing, but it was plenty moist and I didn't miss it. The sauce was great as well, my only complaint was that we wanted more! This was really easy, and I wouldn't hesitate to serve it to company. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8
This is definately colorful & very tasty... just don't know if it's something I'd serve to company being that the stuffing turns out very green. With that aside we enjoyed the flavours in this dish. I didn't have orange zest so I used lemon pepper (only added 1/2 of what zest called for). I substituted marsala for the vermouth & sour cream/yogurt mix for the cream. I didn't have chicken with skin so I flattened breasts & folded over ends & secured with toothpick. I found I needed to thicken filling with abit more breadcrumbs. I made the mistake of combining all the sauce ingredients... to help fix it I added cornstarch & heated till thickened. Very tasty & tangy, thanks for sharing.
When you love chicken and herbs this one comes together to make for a wow. I love the taste of tarragon but didn't have fresh so used a bit of the dried and simply used more of the chives and parsley. It was wonderful with the aroma alone worth a five! Thank you for sharing your recipe for this great tasting chicken.