Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This rich dish should be saved for special occasions. The unripe (green) peppercorns have a slightly less acidic taste than white or black pepper. They are used whole in this recipe, enhanced by a sweet wine and cream sauce. From the California Culinary Academy.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute chicken breasts in safflower oil and sherry until lightly browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, in the same skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in pan drippings until soft.
- Add wine, half-and-half, peppercorns, and tarragon.
- Heat until sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Serve over baked chicken.