Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This recipe was originally from Rachael Ray and was for 4 servings, but I revised it for 2 servings. Whenever my grocery store has a sale on chicken breasts, I buy an extra 2 or 3 packages and freeze them. This dish is a wonderfully rich tasting meal that is healthy and budget minded.
Top Review by rosslare
Tasty, light and quick chicken dish. I added one sliced carrot and handful of green peas to the sauce and served with mashed potatoes. Comfort food fast on the table, with minimum hassle.
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add chicken to the broth, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Poach chicken 12 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate and pour broth into a large measuring cup or batter bowl.
- Return the pan to heat and add butter.
- When butter melts, add flour and cook, whisking with butter, 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour cooking liquid back into the pan, until appropriately thickened, combining with a whisk.
- Stir in Dijon mustard and tarragon and season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to the pan and coat with sauce.
- Simmer 2 or 3 minutes to heat chicken back through and to combine flavors.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables.