Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my son-in-law's favourite chicken recipes. This recipe can also be made 'lighter' for those on a low fat diet by using a low fat cheese and trim/light milk and frying in a non stick pan which has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray/oil
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites
- 118.29 ml plain flour
- 59.14 ml dry breadcrumbs
- canola oil (for frying)
- 39.43 ml butter or 39.43 ml margarine
- 19.71 ml plain flour
- 236.59 ml milk
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese or 118.29 ml edam cheese, grated
- chopped parsley (for garnish) or chopped paprika (for garnish)
- Combine the breadcrumbs and flour.
- Lightly beat the egg whites with 8 teasp water.
- Dip chicken in the egg white mix and then coat with the breadcrumb mix.
- Heat a little oil in frying pan and brown chicken for about 5mins each side.
- Place chicken in an oven proof dish and place in oven at 180.
- C Bake for approx 15mins or until cooked through.
- While chicken is in oven make sauce.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and add flour.
- Cook 1min.
- over med heat.
- Add milk and stir constantly until boiling.
- Turn to low heat and simmer for 2mins still stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/4cup cheese.
- Place a chicken breast on each of 4 plates and pour over sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Garnish with parsley or paprika.
I was looking for a cheese sauce with out Velveeta, a person in my house is not fond of it. As I was making the cheese recipe I added 8 tablespoons of butter in stead of teaspoons. So I thought well, just add 4 table spoons of flour (I used rice flour because we can not have gluten) I ended up adding almost 5 table spoons to make it thinker. then I added 2 cups of milk to see what would happen, I ended up needing about 2 and a half. and then with the cheese I added a cup and a half. Along with pepper, salt, and garlic. Wow what a wonderful tasting cheese sauce. From there I thought well I have enough to have cheese sauce for our veggies tonight and for a broccoli/cauliflower soup. So i separated what I needed for tonight and added about 2-3 cups of chicken stock I happened to be bowling, broccoli and cauliflower. Boy that is the best soup I have ever had. thanks for posting this wonderful cheese sauce!
We loved this, especially my DS who is kind of fussy about what he will eat! I used cheddar cheese for ours. I did the lower fat version using PAM cooking spray to cook the chicken, and used wheat flour, I can't believe it's not butter for the butter, and ff half and half for the milk and ff cheddar cheese. Still very good with these substitutions! I made extra sauce to have over whole wheat pasta. Very much enjoyed!
I made this recipe last sunday and it was very good pretty easy to prepare with great results. I am always looking for new chicken recipes and this was a great way to add a lot of flavor to a regular chicken breast. Thanks!