Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
a VERY VERSATILE DISH THAT YOU CAN CHANGE TO SUIT YOUR TASTE. INSTEAD OF MOZZARELLA, YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE SWISS, EDAM, OR MONTEREY JACK WITH JALAPENOS FOR A LITTLE EXTRA KICK.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 chicken breasts, about 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (BABY PORTOBELLA OR WHITE BUTTON)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- PREHEAT OVER TO 350.
- COMBINE FLOUR WITH SALT, PEPPER, PARSLEY, AND DILL WEED.
- LIGHTLY DREDGE CHICKEN IN FLOUR MIX.
- IN LARGE HEAVY SKILLET MELT 2 TBLS BUTTER.
- ON MEDIUM HEAT, SAUTE CHICKEN TILL BROWN ON BOTH SIDES.
- REMOVE CHICKEN TO GLASS BAKING DISH.
- ADD ANOTHER 2 TBLS BUTTER TO SKILLET.
- SAUTE MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS UNTIL ONIONS ARE A VERY LIGHT BROWN COLOR.
- ADD WINE.
- REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER ABOUT 3 MINUTES.
- POUR MIXTURE OVER CHICKEN AND COVER.
- BAKE 20 MINUTES.
- REMOVE COVER AND SPRINKLE CHEESE ON TOP.
- BAKE FOR 10 MINUTES UNCOVERED UNTIL CHEESE IS MELTED AND BUBBLY.
- SERVE OVER RICE OR WITH MASHED POTATOES.
- PASS PARMIGANA CHEESE, IF DESIRED.
This is a keeper for sure! I was looking for a recipe to use up some baby portobellas and chicken breasts and found this one. I didn't have any white wine so I substituted chicken broth. It turned out great! We liked it so much that we're making it again next Sunday for a family dinner. Thanks!
Excellent! I used Mozzarella and it was lovely! Will make again for sure. Served it over rice--everyone enjoyed it. Simple to prepare and good flavors! Thank you!
This dish was tremendous I had to substitute can mushrooms for fresh and i used monterey jack cheese. VERY GOOD