I think this was from the Commissary Cookbook but I'm not sure now. This recipe states: The piquant, mustard-tinged sauce is especially good and would be equally at home on sautéed veal, calf's liver, or fish." Time doesn't include clarifying the butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, clarified (see note below)
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons parsley, minced
- 1Preheat oven to 200°F.
- 2Note: to clarify butter: Put the butter in a stainless steel bowl in a 200 degree oven. After 1 hour, skim off the crust on top. Put the bowl in the refrigerator. When the butter has re solidified, turn it out of the bowl. Scrape off and discard the white solid layer of milk solids (this is what burns during frying). Wrap and refrigerate the yellow layer of clarified butter until needed. One pound of butter yields about 14 oz. of clarified butter.
- 3Mix the flour with the 1 teaspoon each of salt and of pepper.
- 4Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- 5Heat the clarified butter in a skillet and add the chicken and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken and sauté for 3-5 more minutes or until just done.
- 6Remove from the skillet and keep warm in the oven.
- 7Discard any butter left in the pan.
- 8Add the shallots, vermouth, and brandy to the pan; turn the heat to high and reduce the liquid to 3 tablespoons while stirring to scrape up any browned bits.
- 9Whisk in the mustard. Add the salt, pepper, and cream and cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is the consistency of a light gravy.
- 10Transfer the chicken from the oven to dinner plates, mask with the sauce, dust with the parsley and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts With Brandied Mustard Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.4
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 180.4 mg
- Sodium 978.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 30.5 g