Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I just created this dish this morning, making it up as I went along. Just one taste told me I had a winner.
- Cut up the chicken into chunks, larger than bite size but not too large.
- Mix the flour with the paprika, ginger, black pepper and 1 tablespoon brown sugar.
- Coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
- Fry the chicken in the olive oil in one layer, turning to brown both sides.
- You may have to do this in batches, removing the browned chicken to a separate plate.
- Add some fresh oil to the pot (you can leave in what's in there).
- Fry the onions, constantly stirring, until caramelized.
- Add the vinegar (stand back, the vapors can really get you).
- Then add the water.
- Keep cooking until the sauce is reduced to a jammy consistency.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and stir to completely coat and heat through.
- Serve with some plain rice or couscous.
Very unique recipe and very flavorful. Hubby thought it was a bit to sweet, but if you like sweet and sour chicken you will love this. I used 1/3 tsp of Ginger, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp of paprika and a dash of salt in the flour. The ginger gives it great flavor.
I was looking for something different to serve guests. This guest in particular is a good chef herself so I wanted to impress her. This was a winner. First of all everyone loved it including the kids. The guests were trying to guess the ingredients. It was great. I did cut the chicken into thin long strips instead of chunks. I also served it reheated and the flavor only intensified. Great job Mirj and balsamic vinegar is a definate favorite of mine so it was nice not to just use it in salad dressing.
This is the best tasting chicken receipe I've EVER had the privilage tasting and easy to make. Just Fabulos.. We have made it over and over. This is a weekley meal in my house (and good for you too). A MUST TRY!!!!!!!!!