1/2 Photos of Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Spinach and Mushrooms
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is actually a recipe from Rachael Ray, and it is sooooo DELICIOUS that I just had to share it with all of you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 small mushroom caps (crimini or button)
- 2 garlic cloves, cracked or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small shallot (quartered)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1You will also need: large plastic food storage bags or waxed paper.
- 2Place breasts in the center of a plastic food storage bag or between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- 3Pound out the chicken from the center of the bag outward with a mallet or a heavy skillet.
- 4Be firm and controlled with your strokes.
- 5Defrost spinach in the microwave.
- 6Transfer spinach to a kitchen or a piece of cheese cloth.
- 7Twist towel around spinach and wring it out until the spinach is very dry.
- 8Transfer the spinach to a medium size mixing bowl.
- 9Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- 10When skillet is hot, add the butter, mushrooms, garlic and shallot.
- 11Season with salt and pepper, and saute 5 minutes.
- 12Transfer mushrooms, garlic and shallot to a food processor.
- 13Pulse to grind the mushrooms, and transfer to the mixing bowl, adding the processed mushrooms to the spinach.
- 14Add ricotta and grated cheese and nutmeg to the bowl.
- 15Stir to combine the stuffing.
- 16Return the skillet to the stove over medium-high heat.
- 17Place a mound of stuffing on each breast, and wrap and roll breast over the stuffing.
- 18Secure breasts with toothpicks.
- 19Add 3 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet.
- 20Add breasts to the skillet and brown on all sides, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 21The chicken will cook quickly, because it is thin.
- 22Remove breasts.
- 23Add butter and flour to the skillet.
- 24Cook butter and flour 1 minute.
- 25Whisk in the wine and reduce for another minute.
- 26Whisk in the chicken broth, and then return the breasts to the skillet.
- 27Reduce the heat and simmer until ready to serve.
- 28Remove the toothpicks.
- 29Serve the breasts either whole, or slice on an angle and fan out on the dinner plates.
- 30Top the stuffed chicken breasts or sliced stuffed chicken breasts with generous spoonfuls of the sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Spinach and Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.6
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 207.8 mg
- Sodium 864.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 66.3 g