Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Mushrooms & Spinach With Cognac Sauce
- For the chicken, mince the mushrooms in a food processor and wring out in a kitchen towel to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Sauté in a pan with butter.
- Put shallots and garlic in food processor and pulse to mince, then add to mushrooms.
- Cook mixture slowly over medium heat until moisture has evaporated.
- Deglaze the pan with the cognac, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook a few minutes to evaporate the cognac.
- Put spinach in a pan with only as much water as clings to the leaves.
- Cover and cook only until leaves start to wilt.
- Cool until you can handle the spinach, then wring out in a towel to remove moisture.
- Chop finely by hand and add to the mushroom mixture with the nutmeg.
- Pre-heat oven to 400º F degrees.
- Pound chicken breasts flat and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread some of the mushroom/spinach mixture on the breasts, leaving a margin.
- Roll up tightly.
- Place some clarified butter in the bottom of an oven-proof pan.
- Add chicken and top with wine and remaining butter.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Let rest before carving.
- For the sauce, reduce the chicken stock until it is syrupy.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Spoon over sliced chicken rolls.