This stuffed chicken dish is comforting and impressive, yet delicate and refreshing. It's simple to prepare and its festive presentation and complex flavors and textures always dazzle our guests. It contains no cheese, butter, or cream so it happens to be kosher/low fat/lactose free (though you wouldn't know from the taste). The recipe is based on Jamie Oliver's 'Old Man's Superb Chicken Recipe.' which originally calls for puffed pastry wrap and heavy cream sauce. In this case, we use pine nuts to provide crunch and richness of the bread and cream . I also found this version to be less labor intensive, as well more diet friendly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2slice the mushrooms finely.
- 3To hot pan, add enough oil to coat the bottom well.
- 4Add garlic and fry until fragrant (about 15 seconds), then add mushrooms, thyme, and generous pinch of salt.
- 5Reduce heat and saute for about 10 minutes, or until mushrooms have released, then re-absorbed their moisture.
- 6Turn off heat, stir in chopped parsley and pine nuts, allow to cool. Season with pepper and salt, to taste.
- 7Wash and pat dry the chicken breast. Slice knife into the thick side of the breast, cutting about half way into the breast.
- 8Slowly pull the breasts open further, while trying not to split completely. Once the breast is split, fold it open lay flat between parchment paper or saran wrap. Pound each breast thin with a mallet, rolling pin, or pan (try to pound the breasts evenly and try not to tear the flesh).
- 9Once all four breasts are pounded flat, spoon about 1 tablespoon of cooled mushroom stuffing into center of each breast. Roll up the breast, like a loose burrito and seal with a toothpick or wrap with cooking twine. (Note: It is not a problem if the mushroom mixture spills out a little, or if the rolls are somewhat loose.
- 10Place the breasts, seemed side down, in a baking dish.
- 11Season top of breast with salt and pepper.
- 12Clean out mushroom pan and lightly coat with olive oil or cooking spray. Once oil is hot, gently add breasts, seasoned side down.
- 13After breasts have browned on one side (about 3-5 minute) rermove breasts from pan and place back in baking dish, again with the seared side up.
- 14Pour wine into bottom of dish. Add thin slices of lemon on top of chicken. Lightly sprinkle some olive oil on top of chicken and lemons.
- 15Bake for 5 minutes covered, then 20 minutes uncovered, or until chicken is just cooked through.
- 16Be sure to use the juices that have accumulated at the bottom of the dish; they make a great gravy!
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Mushrooms and Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.1
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 81.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 31.1 g