- 10 tablespoons dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄3 cups coarsely grated Fontina cheese (about 5 oz)
- 12 fresh spinach leaves
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- For sauce: combine wine, cream, lemon juice, vinegar, chopped shallot and pepper in medium saucepan.
- Boil until reduced to ¼ cup, about 8 minutes (can be prepared 1 day ahead).
- For chicken: Pound each chicken breast between sheets of wax paper to 7 x 4 inch rectangle.
- Place smooth side down on work surface.
- Rub ½ tsp olive oil and ½ tsp minced garlic over each chicken breast.
- Sprinkle each with 1/3 cup of Fontina cheese.
- Top each with 3 spinach leaves, overlapping if necessary.
- Starting at short end, tightly roll up chicken, jelly-roll style.
- Tie with string in several places (can be prepared 8 hours ahead).
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Heat remaining 2 tblsps oil in heavy, large ovenproof skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to plate and cool 5 minutes.
- Bring sauce to simmer.
- Add butter, one piece at a time, whisking just until butter melts and sauce is smooth.
- Spoon sauce onto plates.
- Cut string off chicken.
- Cut chicken crosswise into ½ inch thick slices and fan out on plates, overlapping.
- Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.