Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This simple to prepare, very flavorful, easy to modify with ingredients you may have on hand and carb friendly. I got this recipe from the cookbook "Favorite Brand Name Low-Carb Recipes"
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (1 1/2 cups)
- Preheat broiler.
- Pound chicken with flat side of mallet to 1/4" thickness.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook turning once until no longer pink in center.
- Transfer to plate, cover and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook and stir 5 minute.
- Add tomatoes: bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken to skillet, spooning onion and tomato mixture over chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until cheese is melted.
This turned out so well that my husband said we could serve it to the president! LOL Changed it a bit...Seasoned the chicken ofcourse, added a little sugar, oregano, and basil to the tomatoes. I made it all on the stove top as well. Very very good!
This is a fabulous recipe with lots of flavour. Next time I will add some fresh basil as a finishing topper once it comes out from the broiler.
Great recipe...I only had part boned chicken breasts, so I browned them all over, and then put them in a baking dish, made the sauce and poured over, cooked them till just about done and then put the cheese on and browned it....delicious! — May 30, 2006 Made this again last night using Quorn fillets...It was still good!!!